Dreaming of an epic Canadian Rockies road trip? The drive from Vancouver to Banff and back is a fantastic journey that takes you through some of the most scenic parts of Western Canada. This incredible route showcases stunning mountain landscapes, picturesque lakes, charming towns, and an abundance of outdoor activities. Here’s our suggested itinerary for a week long Vancouver to Banff National Park campervan trip:
Day 1: Vancouver to Kamloops
- Start your journey from our Richmond location and head east on Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway).
- Enjoy the scenic drive through Fraser Valley and the Coastal Mountains.
- Make a stop in Kamloops for the night. Explore the city or relax by the Thompson River. This city offers tasty food, refreshing beer, award-winning wine, and great company!
Day 2: Kamloops to Revelstoke
- Continue east on Highway 1 towards Revelstoke.
- Take a detour to Shuswap Lake if you’d like to enjoy some water activities or go hiking in the area.
- Arrive in Revelstoke and spend the evening exploring the charming town. In July and August, Grizzly Plaza offers free live music every single night! The atmosphere in Grizzly Plaza is electric; dancing, patios, food trucks, popcorn and gelato round out the experience creating a uniquely laid back, friendly vibe.
Day 3: Revelstoke to Lake Louise
- Depart from Revelstoke and drive east on Highway 1 towards Golden.
- Near Golden, you can take a slight detour and visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort for some stunning views, hiking, or biking.
- Continue on Highway 1 and arrive at Lake Louise in Banff National Park. Take in the breathtaking scenery and spend the night in Lake Louise. The Lake Louise Campground is a great place to spend the night.
Day 4: Lake Louise to Banff
- Start your day by exploring Lake Louise and Moraine Lake.
*Check out our blog post for information about the Parks Canada shuttle buses and parking.
- In the afternoon, drive the short distance to Banff and park at the train station. Stroll around the town of Banff and take in the stunning views from the Banff Gondola.
- Spend the night in Banff National Park. Tunnel Mountain Campground and Johnston Canyon Campground are great options.
Day 5: Banff National Park
- Dedicate a full day to exploring the wonders of Banff National Park.
- Visit iconic attractions like Johnston Canyon and Bow Lake.
- Take a hike or scenic drive along the Icefields Parkway, one of the most scenic roads in the world.
- Return to Banff for another night.
Day 6: Banff to Kamloops
- Begin your return journey by driving west on Highway 1 towards Kamloops.
- Enjoy the scenic drive through the Rockies.
- Arrive in Kamloops for the night.
Day 7: Kamloops to Vancouver
- Depart from Kamloops and drive west on Highway 1 towards Vancouver.
- Appreciate the beautiful landscapes as you cross the Coastal Mountains.
- Arrive back in Vancouver and drop off your Karma Campervan using our easy automated stress-free service!
We hope you found this itinerary for Vancouver to Banff National Park useful in planning your road trip!
Click here to reserve your Karma Campervan and discover rugged natural beauty, towering trees, glistening glacial lakes, and tasty treats.
Make sure to share your Karma Campervans adventures with us on social media using #GoodCamping and tagging @KarmaCampervans