We’ve been getting a few messages asking about cancellation policies for existing as well as new bookings for future campervan rentals. As we all know, things are so uncertain right now and because of that we’ve changed our rebooking and cancellation policy to make it easier on our Guests. As you can imagine, our business, which we’ve worked so hard to build over the past few years, was greatly impacted, losing 95% of our bookings earlier in 2020, and we’re constantly adjusting and staying positive (and open) amid so many changes here locally and around the world. Please consider getting vaccinated so we can all get back to what we love to do – travel!
As of January, 2022
Current Advisories and Border Updates
BC (as per Government of BC Website)
Travel in BC is permitted
- Recreational Travel in BC is allowed.
Alberta (as per Government of Alberta Website)
Travel in Alberta is permitted
- Recreation Travel in Alberta is allowed.
The Government of Canada has announced new border and air travel regulations within Canada
As of September 7, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers from the USA and certain countries are allowed entry into Canada but must follow these guidelines.
As of October 30, 2021, travellers will be required to be fully vaccinated to travel within Canada via air.
As of November 8, 2021, fully vaccinated Canadians may enter via land into the USA. However, you will still need to produce a negative test result 72 hours before entering back into Canada. See USA travel policy below.
Karma Campervans COVID policy
Our current cancellation policies will apply in the event you need to rebook or cancel your trip BUT we’ve made it a bit easier on our Guests by allowing you to use the cancellation fee as a CREDIT for a future booking if you have COVID-19 or are prevented from travelling due to a government restriction that is NOT a travel advisory, vaccination requirement or mandatory negative test requirement. Proof of a positive COVID test may be required.
COVID-19 Rebooking Policy: Rescheduling (instead of cancelling) is free to do except if your trip is less than 7 days away. For anything more than 7 days away, we’re relaxing our reschedule policy to allow those to rebook within 1 calendar year of your original booking date with no rebooking fees. Trips within the 7-day window will be assessed on a case by case basis.*
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy: You are free to also fully cancel your trip with us. If you’d like to cancel you’ll received a 75% refund for trips 14+ days away, 50% refund for trips 7-13 days away. No refund for trips less than 7 days away. If you’d like to book with us again within 1 year of your original rental day, we’ll apply the non-refundable amount to your account as a credit to be used for a future booking within 1 year of your departure date.*
Example: You book a trip for June 1, 2022 for a total cost of $2000 after tax, but need to cancel 14 or more days in advance because you have COVID-19 or there are Government travel restrictions (not including advisories) due to COVID-19. We cancel your trip, refund you $1500 and apply a $500 credit to your account. If you book with us again for June 1, 2023 for the same number of nights and add ons your trip cost after tax is $1500 for a total trip cost of $2000.*
*If your rescheduled trip is longer or if additional add ons are added, rental nights or add on charges would apply. Current daily rental rental rates will stand, however rate adjustments will apply for rebooking in a different season. Eg. Moving from a winter rate to a summer rate. Prices are in Canadian Dollars. Subject to change without notice.
These policies are in effect for those impacted by COVID-19 and while travel restrictions (NOT including travel advisories, vaccination requirements or mandatory negative test requirements) to or within Canada are imposed by either the Canadian government or your government, or air travel.
Those currently with their rental
If you are currently with your rental and there is a travel ban (not an advisory), please contact us for information.
Rentals after September 30, 2022
We’ll try and keep this page up to date as much as possible. Please check back or contact us for more information.
Travelling via Land to the USA
We’re excited to hear that land travel to the USA is allowed since November 8th to fully vaccinated Canadians! This presents a new set of challenges as you are STILL required to produce a negative test result when re-entering Canada. Please be advised that if you rent a Karma Campervan and take it to the US but are denied entry back into Canada, you will incur additional rental fees or vehicle transportation costs for returning the campervan back to your return destination. This is a strict and non-negotiable policy. We highly recommend getting travel insurance to avoid additional fees should this occur.
March 31, 2020 Update
Wow this thing just isn’t going away fast, is it?! First – we want to ask how YOU are doing? How’s your family? How’s your mood? If you need a mood booster, just follow your favourite musician, local zoo or travel guru on social media for inspiration. Many are posting free concerts, live videos or just feel-good photos and messages of hope and joy. Have any good ones? Send them to our Instagram account!
Truth is, things are escalating in our parts of the world (damn!), but we’re also finally seeing some relief in other parts of the world as people are healing at infection rates go down (yay!)
We’ve also implemented a COVID-19 Front Line Rental Program, offering front line medics and care workers in need of isolation and with at-risk families a complementary van rental. You can learn more about it here.
Here is a quick update from us regarding what what’s going on, what we’re doing ,and info if you have an upcoming trip:
- We are still taking bookings! Thinking about that #vanlife adventure once this is all over and done with? We’re with you! We invite you to book a campervan for the summer when you’ll be in need of a break and some time to recharge. Pick ups in Vancouver or Calgary are available.
- If you have a rental between now and May 31, 2020 and cannot get into the country due to a travel or government restriction, please contact us immediately to arrange rescheduling your rental (which has always been free to do) or cancelling (say it ain’t so!). We understand everyone’s situation is different and therefore we will be dealing with cancellation requests on a case by case basis.
- Local National Parks and Alberta and BC Provincial Parks are now closed to the public. As well, regional municipalities across the country are requesting that people not visit or road trip to reduce the spread and strain on front line systems (eg – if you get injured and need to go to the hospital). We fully agree with this policy. If you DO venture out – make sure you’re as self-sufficient as possible, avoid public spaces and crowds, and maintain good personal hygiene.
The more we stay home, the quicker we’ll get to explore.
- The borders are still closed, and for good reason. Major centres across North America are trying their best to reduce the spread and mange what is happening in their own jurisdiction. We don’t know what the “magic number” is, but until things get more under control, we don’t see the international borders opening up any time soon.
- If you’ve been travelling outside Canada you must quarantine yourself for 14 days. The same for if you have been around others who may be sick or infected, or if you’re experiencing cold symptoms yourself.
- If you are renting a Campervan from us, please stay within Canada and practice good personal hygiene including washing your hands often, using sanitizer and avoiding crowds.
- We’ve lowered our winter rates for travel until end of April to $99/night and our mid-season rates (May – June) to $199/night so that our local friends can get some fresh air, spend their self-isolation in our Canadian wilderness, or just get away from it all (responsibly of course).
- We’re currently practicing social distancing at our shop, keeping things extra clean, encouraging rigorous personal hygiene, and working from home as much as possible to reduce our exposure.
That’s the update! As always, if you have a question or concern, reach out at any time via email or phone. Thanks and hope to see you soooooon!
Dave Wald, Managing Partner
March 24, 2020.
Hi everyone! Firstly – we hope you’re all safe and healthy and dreaming of future adventures in our great outdoors (all from a safe distance of course ;).
With Coronavirus (COVID-19) having a larger impact on a global scale, we at Karma Campervans would like to answer recent questions as well as provide an overview of our cleaning habits and policies moving forward. Your health and safety is our priority – which is why a future camping trip to the Canadian wilds might be in order!
One of the things we stress to the n-th degree is how we clean and sanitize our campervans after each use. Our technicians take approximately two hours to clean and prep our campervans after each trip. We use an industrial-grade sanitizing product to sanitize and wipe down the entire van from from cab to cargo area, including all surfaces, handles, light switches, floors, storage bins and sleeping area.
Fresh cleaning materials are used with each van flip. We have also begun to sanitize exterior door handles as we know people use these during their trips. Each piece of dinnerware including cups, mugs, plates, pans and cutlery, is washed with dish soap prior to each new rental. Everything someone touches is cleaned.
Understandably, cleanliness levels vary from person to person, but our Guests can rest assured we’re doing everything we can to fully sanitize and prepare the campervans properly for each departure.
Booking and cancellation policies
Our booking and cancellation policies as outlined on our website will be in effect until further notice and anyone affected by their travel plans is encouraged to reschedule for no fee. If you cannot get into the country due to a travel or government restriction, and you have a rental between now and April 30, 2020, please contact us immediately to arrange rescheduling your rental or cancellation. We understand everyone’s situation is different and therefore we will be dealing with this on a case by case basis.
This policy is subject to change as risk levels and transportation restrictions change, and we’ll do our best to inform our guests accordingly.
Travel Restrictions with the campervans and Calgary or Vancouver shop visits
We’ve kept the doors open at the shop so we can still work on campervans and prep them (with sanitary diligence of course). We are running a lean team and keeping our distance. We are asking anyone wanting to stop by to refrain or postpone for the next few weeks as we maintain social distance and try and clear this whole thing up. Anyone wanting to self-isolate in a campervan is welcome to do so! But please keep in mind, if you’ve been travelling on a plane or outside Canada, have been around others who may be sick or infected, or if you’re experiencing cold symptoms yourself, we are recommending you wait 14 days or more.
If you are renting a campervan, please stay within Canada and practice good personal hygiene including washing your hands often, using sanitizer and avoiding crowds.
Special Pandemic Pricing for Canadians
We’ve lowered our winter rates for travel until end of April to $99/night and our mid-season rates (May – June) to $199/night in the hopes that our local friends want to get some fresh air, spend their self-isolation in our Canadian wilderness, or just need to get away from it all.
Mitigating risk and how you can help
There are many things we can do to mitigate the impact of coronavirus. As stated on the Public Health Agency of Canada website:
Proper hygiene can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
- use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- when coughing or sneezing:
- cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
- dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- clean high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
While we continue to invite guests from all over the world to enjoy our campervans and travel with us, we must exude caution. Be smart. If you are feeling any effects of flu or other illness, postpone your travel plans until you feel better again. Practice good health and hygiene. Together we can beat this.
Government Travel Advice and Advisories: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html
Government of Canada Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
This page will be updated as we learn more. Thanks and hope to see you soon!