Coming into Canada and Vaccine Mandates

We’re looking forward to welcoming back international travellers ready to experience Canadian #vanlife with Karma! As recently announced, the federal government has opened Canada’s borders for recreational travel to fully-vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents on August 9, 2021, then on September 7, 2021 to fully-vaccinated travellers from any country.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Fully vaccinated travellers are those who have completed the full course of vaccination with a Government of Canada-accepted vaccine at least 14 days prior to entering Canada.

Accepted vaccines:Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD COVID-19 vaccine
Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine

  • Travellers must be asymptomatic upon arrival.
  • Travellers must use ArriveCAN (app or web portal) to submit travel information.
  • Travellers require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result.
  • Fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.
  • Travellers must have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation.
  • Some provinces and territories may have their own entry restrictions in place, so be sure to check before travelling.
  • Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for travellers who are not fully vaccinated, unless they meet an exemption in the Quarantine Act.

Read the full release.

British Columbia COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate

Recently, the province of BC has introduced a “proof of vaccination” program, required to access certain businesses in the BC region. Below are the highlights, and more specific and updated information can be found on the Government of BC website.

Starting September 13, 2021:

BC residents and visitors will be required to show partial vaccination via a BC Vaccine Card or, if you’re not a resident, via a government approved method such as their provincial health record or via ArriveCAN app if you are international, plus your photo ID or passport.

The requirement applies to all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+) and covers:

  • Indoor ticketed sporting events
  • Indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events
  • Licensed restaurants and restaurants that offer table service (indoor and patio dining)
  • Pubs, bars and lounges (indoor and patio dining)
  • Nightclubs, casinos and movie theatres
  • Gyms, exercise facilities/studios and recreation facilities
  • Businesses offering indoor group exercise
  • Indoor adult group and team sports for people 19 years old or older
  • Indoor organized events with 50 or more people. For example: Wedding receptions, organized parties, conferences and workshops
  • Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities like pottery, art and choir
  • Post-secondary on-campus student housing

Starting October 24th, 2021, you must be double vaccinated.

Alberta COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate

There is currently no requirement to be vaccinated in order to travel in Alberta or visit public and private places of business.

Ready to start planning your Canadian campervan adventure? Click here to book your campervan rental, and be sure to share your adventures with us on social using #GoodCamping and tagging @KarmaCampervans.


We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.